Don’t Risk a Gap in Your Health Insurance. Rhode Island Medicaid will soon restart eligibility reviews.
Forms, Documents, and Resources:
- EOHHS NEMT Guide
- Elderly Transportation Program FAQs
- Elderly Transportation Program FAQs – Portuguese
- Elderly Transportation Program FAQs – Spanish
- Gas Mileage Reimbursement (GMR) Trip Log
- Gas Mileage Reimbursement (GMR) Trip Log – Portuguese
- Gas Mileage Reimbursement (GMR) Trip Log – Spanish
- Recipient Handbook
- Recipient Handbook – Portuguese
- Recipient Handbook – Spanish
- You can schedule a ride Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- You must call at least two business days before your routine appointment
- Have your trip information ready when you call
- Be ready at least one hour before your appointment time
Important Toll-Free Phone Numbers:
- To schedule a ride call 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711)
- If your ride is late call 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711)
- To file a complaint call 1-866-436-0457 (TTY: 711)
Join Our Advisory Committee!
Do you want to share your thoughts with MTM? Join our Advisory Committee! We need people who use NEMT to help us make transportation better. You would come to a meeting every three months. You can join in person or by teleconference. Click here to fill out a short form if you’re interested.
Adjust Font Size (small/medium/large)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
MTM provides rides for Rhode Island Medicaid recipients, as well as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program/RI Works and Elderly Transportation Program (ETP) participants:
- Medicaid recipients must be attending a covered Medicaid service and have no other way to get there.
- ETP participants can receive rides to medical appointments and other ETP services
- TANF/RI Works participants can receive monthly bus passes to pursue employment opportunities.
There are several ways you can book a ride:
- You can use the web chat feature located on this website to chat with a live Representative in real time.
- You can use the MTM Link web portal or MTM Link Member mobile app to book your rides online; click here to create your MTM Link account or log into your existing account.
- For routine appointments, you may also call us at 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711).
- You must call at least two business days before your appointment, unless your trip is urgent .
- We schedule routine trips Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- You can schedule urgent trips 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
When you call, please be ready to provide:
- Your name and Medicaid ID number.
- Your home address and phone number.
- Your health care provider’s name, phone number, and address.
- The date and time of your appointment.
- Any special needs, including if you need someone to ride with you.
If your appointment is urgent, MTM will set up your ride. An urgent request is an illness or injury that requires immediate treatment. Call us at 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711), 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to schedule an urgent ride.
MTM does not schedule emergency transportation. Call 911 if you have an emergency.
You will receive the ride that is most appropriate for you. We may consult your health care provider. Based on your needs, we will offer you:
- Gas mileage reimbursement if you, a friend, or family member can drive to the appointment.
- Fixed route bus tickets if your home and destination are within ½ mile of a bus stop, and you can walk there independently and safely.
- Sedan, van, or taxi services if you can walk between the door of your home/destination and the vehicle; this may include taxi services or on-demand transportation services like Uber or Lyft.
- Vehicle services equipped to transport wheelchairs and stretchers if you have specific mobility needs verified by your health care provider.
We may be able to reimburse you, a friend, or a family member to drive you to your appointments. Ask us about this program when you call to set up your trip.
- Be ready for your ride at least one hour before your appointment time. If your driver has not arrived 15 minutes prior to your appointment time, call MTM.
- If you scheduled a ride back home during the original ride request, your driver should pick you up within 15 minutes after your appointment is over. Call MTM if your driver is late or does not pick you up.
- If your appointment is over and you did not schedule a ride back, call MTM. The driver should arrive within 45 minutes. Call MTM back if you have waited longer.
Call MTM at 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711) if you need to cancel or reschedule your trip. Please call as soon as possible.
Call MTM at 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711) if you:
- Are waiting for your driver to take you to your appointment, and your appointment begins in 15 minutes or less.
- Scheduled a ride back home during the original ride request and have waited more than 15 minutes after the pick-up time.
- Have waited more than 45 minutes after calling MTM to schedule a return ride, if a return ride was not scheduled during the original request.
- Cannot reach the driver.
MTM cannot guarantee your provider of choice.
You can expect certain rights and protections from MTM. Our Member Bill of Rights includes your right to:
- Obtain transportation services in accordance with 42 C.F.R. § 438.10.
- Participate in decisions regarding available transportation options.
- Confidentiality with your personal and medical information.
- Courteous, prompt service when booking your trips.
- Access safe, reliable transportation services.
- Be treated with respect and consideration of your dignity and privacy.
- Obtain explanations on why we may need more information or why a trip is denied.
- Access to all program information.
- File a complaint or grievance related to MTM’s services without fear of penalty or retaliation.
When utilizing NEMT to travel to an appointment, you must:
- Be dressed, clean, and ready for your ride at least one hour prior to your appointment time.
- Never bring alcohol, drugs, or any weapon on the vehicle.
- Use the seatbelt.
- Supply car seats for children.
- Bring your own wheelchair if necessary.
- Never smoke, eat, or consume beverages while on board the vehicle.
- Never physically or verbally abuse other recipients or the driver.
- Be thoughtful of other passengers you share a ride with.
- Cancel a ride you no longer need as soon as possible.
Drivers must follow certain rules as well. Your driver may help you into the vehicle, into a seat, secure your seatbelt, or provide first aid or other assistance. Any other touching is not allowed. Please file a complaint with MTM if:
- Your driver is driving dangerously.
- Your driver is under the influence of alcohol, narcotics, illegal drugs, or other drugs.
- The heat or air conditioning in the vehicle is not working properly.
- There is no seat or seatbelt for you in the vehicle.
- The driver did not pick you up.
- The driver was more than 15 minutes late.
- Your driver is texting while driving or using a cell phone that is not in hands-free mode.
MTM provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, including:
- TTY/TDD services.
- Written information in other formats, such as large print, audio, and accessible electronic formats.
If you need these services, call us at 1-855-330-9131 (TTY: 711).
If you do not speak English, call us at 1-855-330-9131. We have access to interpreter services and can help answer your questions in your language.
We always want to provide excellent service. Call MTM’s We Care Line at 1-866-436-0457 (TTY: 711) if you have a complaint. You can also make suggestions about how we can serve you better. You may also use our convenient online form. We will follow up on all complaints.
If you disagree with a denial, suspension, or reduction in services, you can file an appeal through MTM. If you are not happy with our answer, you can file a fair hearing through the state. You can do this by calling or writing within 90 calendar days of the date on your denial letter. You must tell us why you disagree with our decision. Send your letter to:
16 Hawk Ridge Drive
Lake St. Louis, MO 63367
Call us at 1-866-436-0457 (TTY: 711) for more information.